Position: General Manager
Terms of Employment: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Salary Range: $60,000
Location: 120 Radcliffe Street, Bristol, PA 19007
Start: September 2022
Bristol Riverside Theatre (BRT) is a mid-sized regional theatre whose mission is to engage audiences and artists alike with exceptional performances, inspired writing, and superior productions that motivate us to think harder, to feel more deeply, to laugh more joyfully, and to reflect on ourselves and the world in which we live.
Located in historic Bristol Borough, the theatre has a full-time staff of 14 employees, with most senior staff having been with the organization for at least 10 years. BRT is deeply rooted in its community, has long-term relationships within the town, and is proud of its role as the cultural hub of Bristol Borough. Annually, BRT produces a mainstage season of 5 plays and musicals, a presented season of 4-8 productions, The William Penn Bank Summer Music Fest (9 weekends of music in two venues), and has robust new play development and education programming.
Last year, the leadership structure changed from an Artistic Director/Managing Director model to one led by two Co-Producers, each responsible for a portion of the annual producing portfolio. The new leadership is emphasizing a commitment to new play development and serving a diverse community with stories that address the breadth of the human experience.
We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To further our commitment to serving a diverse community, we are currently in the process of reviewing and rethinking our policies and procedures. For more information on these efforts, please click here.
We are seeking a General Manager (GM) who loves theatre in all forms. We are looking for someone who understands, or is deeply curious about, the nuanced ways in which business and finance affect art-making and how the choices we make onstage affect our business. We are looking for a trustworthy, confident, high-level thinker who will work closely with the Co-Producing Directors to manage and shape the organization in what we expect to be a challenging post-pandemic period. We are looking for someone who is committed to how an arts organization can positively benefit and serve a community and who is ready to dive into what will inevitably be a challenging few years in this changed landscape.
The GM is command central, the hub that holds the development, marketing, production, and education departments together. The GM supervises and directs daily operations and works with the Co-Producing Directors to develop the business plans and budget goals that will ensure the continued success and health of the organization.
We are a small, tight knit team who works hard, helps each other, and forms long meaningful relationships. This position requires an energetic and collaborative professional who doesn’t believe that there is one “way it’s done” and who truly wants to be part of this team.
While past theatre experience is highly desired, it is not necessarily a deal breaker. It is possible that the right candidate is looking for how to use their administrative, financial, and management skills in new ways to have a deep positive impact on their community. Candidates without a theatre background will be expected to throw themselves into learning the particulars of this field, reading a variety of texts, observing what happens in rehearsal, backstage, in the classroom, etc., regularly attending a wide variety of theatres, reaching out to colleagues, attending conferences, etc. This extensive investigation will require night and weekend time.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITY
Financial and Governance
• Create, maintain, and monitor annual operating and production budgets.
• Create reports and projections to keep the co-producing directors and board apprised of the fiscal health of the organization.
• Work with the bookkeeper to prepare annual audit and ensure filings are compliant.
• Supervise financial management systems and personnel.
• Process payroll and, with bookkeeper, ensure payment of accounts payable
• Manage insurance and legal affairs
• Secure safe storage of core documents
• Strategize ways of working that make the organization more economically efficient.
Operations and Facilities
• Supervise the Facilities Manager including creating priority lists and directing work.
• Negotiate and manage contracts with vendors as necessary including repairs, alarm systems, cleaning, snow removal, and grounds maintenance.
• Maintain positive working relationships with landlord.
• Ensure compliance with safety codes.
• Maintain protocols for evacuations and emergencies.
• Ensure that necessary permits and licenses remain up to date
• Oversee recruitment and hiring of staff and apprentices in consultation with department heads.
• Handle union matters and HR.
• Draft, execute, and manage all contracts relating to production.
• Negotiate fees and royalty agreements.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Degree in Arts or Theatre Management, or 5+ years in administration in a professional theatre, or 10+ years as a Business/General Manager in a non-theatrical setting.
• Collaboration, organization, and computer skills.
• Analytical ability and financial/accounting knowledge.
• Experience with negotiations and contracts
• Knowledge of associated legal issues (intellectual property, HR, unions) a plus
• Knowledge of payroll systems a plus
BENEFITS: Comprehensive health benefits and flexible holidays.
EOE: Bristol Riverside Theatre is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and better reflects the community as a whole. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
TO APPY: E-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “General Manager” in the subject line. With your resume, please submit a cover letter describing what attracted you to this job and your qualifications.