The Musical Theater Teaching Artist must be experienced teaching musical theater foundations and skills to elementary age children. The individual in this role must be passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of students through the performing arts! This role requires an assertive individual who works well in a high energy educational environment. Classroom management experience is an essential skill in this position. Candidates must have the ability to work independently and within a team environment. There are a total of four teaching quarters for the 2023-2024 teaching season. The Musical Theater Teaching Artist is responsible for organizing and facilitating a student showcase after each quarter.
2nd grade: 9:45am-10:30am
1st grade: 11am-11:45am
3rd grade: 12:30pm-1:15pm
4th grade: 1:15pm-2pm
Frequency: Four 45-minute classes, twice a week
Site location: Snyder-Girotti Elementary School
Address: 450 Beaver St, Bristol, PA
Students: 1st-4th grade
Teaching Artist Rate: $45-$50 PH (Based upon experience and expertise)
Dates: September 5, 2023- June 14, 2024
Desired Candidate attributes include the following!
- Degree in musical theater, 4+ years teaching elementary age children
- The ability to cultivate a learning environment that support students in gaining a deeper understanding of the practice, vocabulary, and history of theatre as an art form
- Instruct students in key elements of performing arts while imparting transferable life skills such as teamwork, problem solving, and facilitation of activities practice of implementing and trusting their ideas.
- The ability to successfully teach a self-developed or BRT established Musical theater curriculum
- Prepare students to perform selected scenes and songs as a culmination of all they have learned
Teaching Focus points
- Musical genres
- Vocal exercises
- Breathing techniques
- Vocal Range
- Students will be introduced to the elements of dance in addition to memorizing choreography
- Theatrical terminology as well as learning about the various components that make theater possible such as lighting, costume, and scene design.
- Team bonding exercises and Theatre games
- Preparing students to audition for various solos
- Teaching chosen songs and scenes
- Modeling and teaching Audience etiquette
- Building a supportive student ensemble
- Introduce students to various acting techniques to nurture self-confidence and develop stage presence.
- Creative Dramatics
- Public Speaking
- Actor Preparation
- Scene Study
- Excellent time management skills and attendance
- Ability to anticipate next steps
- Applying appropriate strategies in the moment when working with students
- Motivating and encouraging students to participate in performing arts activities with patience and compassion
- Great listening skills and exceptional problem-solving skills
- The ability to effectively multi-task, and complete given tasks specific to student projects
- *Classroom management*
- Mentorship is key! Building a positive rapport with students while remaining conscious of appropriate boundaries
- Prioritizing a positive, safe, and empowering learning environment for students
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing about student progress and challenges
- Application of de-escalation strategies such as mindfulness methods, calming down strategies, comfortable encouraging peer to peer communication
- Comfortable redirecting students when needed, and reviewing classroom expectations
This position requires employees to obtain the following background checks:
- Criminal History (PATCH)
- Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse History Clearance
- IdentoGO Fingerprinting Application for Federal (FBI) Criminal History Record Information
Candidates interested in this employment opportunity should sends their resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com, Attn: Qadriyyah Tongori
BRT Education Mission: BRT Education provides inclusive and accessible high quality artistic experiences that build community and connect people using the platform of performing arts. Through creative expression our programs foster confidence, pride, and cultural appreciation.
EOE: Bristol Riverside Theatre is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and better reflects the community as a whole. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.